Wednesday, June 29, 2011

New song--I've Got A Thing (For Parentheses)

I am thinking this will be in an early rock-and-roll style. The Collaborator recently bought a ukulele though, so it might be rock-and-roll ukulele. Who knows. Here it is:

I've got a thing (for parentheses)
Just the right brackets (put me on my knees)
They're good for asides (and soliloquies)
I've got a thing (for parentheses).

Some people have a footnotes fetish
But that's not really me
They like it in the asterisk
Or with a superscripted three.

Some people do it with a period
Some prematurely punctuate
Some people like to subject and object their predicate.

But
I've got a thing (for parentheses)
etc

Just the sight of those loving arms
Gets me all aroused
I tingle reading Vonnegut
And I devour Proust.

I checked out a book of poetry
With a very modern air
When I came to e e cummings, I came everywhere.

Because
I've got a thing for parentheses
etc

You can keep your semicolons and dashes
Your carats, tildes, back-and-forward slashes
When it comes to insertion
Of pointless diversion
I've got a thing
Oh I've got a thing
Got a huge huge thing
(For parentheses).

Should be recorded next month...I'm already excited.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, I love it! Can't wait to hear it recorded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie! I can't believe you liked it...it's a bit...risque?

    ReplyDelete