Tuesday, April 19, 2011

An old poem.

My finals end May 6th. Hopefully, I'll be done before that, but it all depends on scheduling. And then I'll have a little over 3 months of idle time, in which I can actually focus on my writing and music and other art. In other words, there should be some more posts to this blog. Regular posts, even.

Anyway, here's an old poem I wrote several years ago for a creative writing class. It's one of my favorites, and it uses the villanelle structure.



It always starts with some eerie swell or drone
The wires are cut. The line is dead.
You're without help but not alone.

Or it's "Let's split up." If you do, you're done.
You'll feel pressing panic, choke on dread,
As the axe comes down there's an eerie drone.

Your marrow's frozen-sluggish in the bone,
And God-knows-what crepitates beneath the bed
The place is graveyard-silent but you know you're not alone.

The psycho's calling from inside your home!
Keep cool now. Don't want to lose your head.
The cordless buzzes in your ear, a mindless drone.

Stick to the road; don't go wandering in the gloam
The wolves are man-smart; it's been so long since they fed.
You wouldn't want to face them all alone.

Rod Serling says you're entering the Twilight Zone
But this is real now, all comfort's fled.
All you hear is an eerie drone
Coming closer, and now you're all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment